Rat, Cats Resuscitated After Idaho Fire


Updated: 6/21/2007

POCATELLO, Idaho

Firefighters resuscitated four cats and an albino rat from a charred apartment in southeastern Idaho.

The animals received oxygen through a special mask designed for small animals that the department got two years ago.

Electrical failure likely caused the fire, which resulted in at least $10,000 in damage, fire officials said. No people were injured.

Firefighter Kirby Jonas, who whisked the rat to safety, said he was astonished anything survived the flames that engulfed the apartment. He found the rat huddled in blackened bedding in a cage.

''If I were betting money, I would have put down $10,000 that anything in that cage was dead,'' Jonas said. Also in the room was a poster of an albino rat with a halo over its head, he said.

One cat didn't survive the blaze.


Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Print This Article | E-Mail This Article | Mark This Article UNhappy

Home InternationalNationalHeroesHealthOpinion & EditorialsScience & TechnologyEnvironmentArts & EntertainmentSportsBusiness/Money$1000 Are You Optimistic About the Future Contest Essays HappyLiving
Columns Craig HarrisPollay's MomentumWonderQuest
Contact Us About Us Report Happy News
Happy Newsletter
Sign up to get our top happy headlines e-mailed to you daily by entering your e-mail address below:


"The Happynews glass is always at least half-full, and sometimes it bubbles right over."
"Happynews.com forsakes war and famine, terror and man's inhumanity to man 24/7."
"As far as anyone can tell, it's the first international and national daily news organization dedicated exclusively to upbeat stories."

Unhappy News
MSNBC CNN ABCNews FOX News BBC News
Terms of Use & Disclaimer | Contact Us | © 2007 HappyNews.com